Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another yummy tomato "recipe"

So, has anyone noticed that my recipes lately have just been vague directions of throwing vague amounts of numerous veggies together? :-) Well, this one is kind of the same. But you should try it--the beauty is in the simplicity of ingredients and taste!


Slice a large tomato or two in thin (but not too thin) slices... probably about 1/2 inch. (Handy tip of the day: use a serrated knife to slice tomatoes... it will cut right through the skin without tearing up your beautiful tomato). I prefer using Brandywine tomatoes for this dish, but any yummy slicer will work well. Layer the slices in a flat dish or on a plate.

Cut up some fresh basil into thin strips. Sprinkle over the tomatoes. Salt and pepper liberally (or to taste), and drizzle with olive oil. Then sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella. Put in the fridge until it's time to eat to let the flavors blend.

That's all there is to it! Another version is to layer the tomato slices with thin slices of mozzarella (and then skip the shredded on top).

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Linda E said...

YUM!!
I add a little good balsamic vinegar and shave Parmesan cheese off a block with my cuke peeler instead of the mozzarella. Even my tomato hating daughter will eat this. It is especially good on sliced french bread toasted on the grill.

April said...

Linda, very yummy stuff. I have lots of tomatoes right now, so tomatoes are on the menu every day! Today was BLTs for lunch, then cherry tomatoes with our chicken supper. There is always gazpacho in the fridge. Alycia took a bag of Juliet tomatoes to college with her. I've canned some, froze some, and need to do more. I really want to make salsa, but unfortunately my jalapenos pooped out on me (as did most of my peppers this year--I think it was the weather). I'm hoping to get some from a friend, though. Then we'll have salsa, too!